Monday, February 7, 2011

My Mother has passed away

            My Mother turned 98 on February 3rd.  Late the next afternoon she passed away. She’d been in decline since falling at home and breaking her hip two months earlier.  There’d been surgery, a stay in a rehab facility, an infection in the stitches necessitating more surgery, another stay in rehab and then back home with home health attendants to watch over her 24/7.  Her quality if life diminished rapidly and when the end came, as she napped in her own bed at home, it was quiet and peaceful.

            She led a good and full life working professionally for many years as an assistant to a real estate attorney while also dedicating herself for what seemed like her entire life to a fraternal organization called the Odd Fellows and their female counterparts the Rebekkahs.  She achieved statewide prominence several years ago becoming president of the New York State Rebekkah Assembly. She was devoted to her family, her friends and her other pursuits. My sister and I owe our organizational, writing and public speaking skills to our Mother.

            Life moves in cycles. Last week my Mother passed away.  Next week I’ll be in Brooklyn, New York to celebrate the “naming” of my Granddaughter, Gabriella Coco Amodio-Rosenberg, my Mother’s Great Granddaughter.  It’s an age-old story. Life goes on.

1 Comments:

At April 13, 2011 at 4:21 PM , Blogger Dannytheman said...

98? I would sign with Lucifer for that!

I am sorry for your loss!!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home